Sunday, April 15, 2007

Dried Fish a.k.a Stinky Fish

For my sister Colleen's birthday, I put together a filipino feast for brunch. Once is a while my family does get filipino food cravings. I thought of having tuyo, but for some reason I can't find any from the oriental market. So the next best thing is the dried squid and jeprox fish?!!!! That is what it says on the label. I always thought its the poor filipino's bacon. Its a really thin fish and when you fry it, it kinda curls a bit and its very crunchy. Anyways, the preparations I do before frying up is, open all windows, close all bedroom doors, turn on fan and lite up candles. For some reason here in California or probably any cooler places, the rooms keeps the smell of food, and the dried fish is really really stinky for non filipino peeps. The smell sticks to your clothes and hair. But the trouble is all worth it. I cooked some tinapa and scrambled eggs with onions and garlic. I also bought some chitcharon. The brunch was a success. We might be smelly but atleast we are full.

No comments: